To change millimeters to kilometers use this converter. To calculate it, enter the value in mm put on the button “Convert”.
Use our reverse converter to convert kilometers to millimeters
How to convert mm to km?
There is a big difference between mm and km, so there are several intermediate values between them (centimeters and meters). To explain you how mm to km conversions are carried out, we will demonstrate it step by step.
First you need to remember that:
- There are 1000 meters in 1 kilometer (1 km = 1000 m).
- There are 100 centimeters in 1 meter (1 m = 100 cm).
- There are 10 millimeters in 1 centimeter (1 cm = 10 mm).
Thus, to change mm to km, you must first convert it to cm, then to m, and only then to km. Since the millimeter is the smallest value in this row, prepare to divide:
- Mm must be divided by 10 (it will be the value in cm).
- This result must be divided 100 (we will get the value in m).
- Then it can be divided by 1000. This will be the value in km.
To speed up the calculation and convert millimeter to kilometer, it is enough to divide initial value by 1 000 000 (10 × 100 × 1000). Yes, this means that 1 mm to km = 0,000001 km.
The formula of this conversion is so:
Length in kilometers = Length in millimeters ÷ 1 000 000
Example of conversion millimeters to kilometers
If you know that the distance is 15000 mm, it will be the same as 0,015 km. How did we convert mm to km here?
- 15000 mm were divided by 10 (= 1500 cm).
- 1500 cm were divided by 100 (= 15 m).
- 15 m were divided by 1000 (0,015 km).
To skip these intermediate calculation steps and convert mm to kilometers, we’ve divided 15000 mm by 1 000 000 so that the result become equal to the same 0,015 km.
Now you know how to convert millimeters to kilometers (mm to km) and can repeat the calculation of any other value using our converter.